[lbo-talk] RE: Soviet Children's Books

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 00:19:22 PST 2004

[lbo-talk] RE: Soviet Children's Books but surely this is the urban centers... How do you account for this... in Russia?

Joanna --- Urban centers is what I'm aware of... but most of the population lives in urban centers, or lives near them. I don't see what's surprising about it being Russia. Orthodox countries generally have a more relaxed attitude toward "sin" in general than other Christian countries (maybe because there is no doctrine of original sin?) Tatu didn't come from nowhere... as a matter of fact as far as I know the group's primary audience in Russia is teenage girls, who as the group's producer said (I paraphrase), "at that age, all girls are doing this!" Incidentally they are not THAT young by Russian standards -- it is not uncommon in Russia for people to marry at 16.

There is all a considerable amount of male-male sexual experimentation that goes on, esp. in teh Army and, in the Soviet era, when young men would be doing their obligatory work at collective farms and so on. As far as I can tell the stigma does not lie in having occasional having had sex with other men, but in a) doing it regularly (which makes you gay) or b) adopting feminine behavior patterns. In my experience Russian men are MUCH more likely to admit to having had homosexual experiences than American men are. The eXile did a whole issue on the theme of Gay Nation as a matter of fact.

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE online virus check for your PC here, from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963