[lbo-talk] IMF = Slums. Slums = Viral Hothouse. Viral Hothouse = Mass Death

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Feb 3 08:12:48 PST 2004

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> In South Asia, likewise, investment in public health has lagged
> far
> behind the growth of slums. The five largest cities of the region
> alone
> have a total slum population of more than 20 million, and
> standards of
> sanitation are symbolized by ratios of one toilet seat per 2000
> residents in the poorest parts of Bombay and Dhaka.

India's doesn't owe any money to IMF. India is not subject to any IMF conditionalities. India's FX reserves are about $105 bn and has been prepaying foreign debt in recent years. There is no point in blaming IMF for urban squalor in India. Indian state's indifference, dispersed/unorganised state of urban poor and their inability to influence state policy are primarily responsible for this state of affairs.I am not defending IMF.

Ulhas