[lbo-talk] Theory of Porn

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Feb 3 16:34:06 PST 2004

On Tuesday, February 3, 2004, at 07:12 PM, Michael Dawson -PSU wrote:

> During the European Middle Ages pornography was widespread but held in
> low
> repute, finding expression mostly in riddles, common jokes, doggerel,
> and
> satirical verses. A notable exception is the Decameron of Giovanni
> Boccaccio, some of whose 100 stories are licentious in nature. A
> principal
> theme of medieval pornography was the sexual license of monks and other
> clerics, along with their attendant displays of hypocrisy.

this seems to me to confuse "licentious" with "pornographic".

does anyone seriously think of the decameron as porn, except in the hands of a lame-ass film-maker? and why not chaucer? didn't pasolini do a softporn version of the canterbury tales, too? likewise ovid, although pasolini i think never got to that one.