[lbo-talk] "Full of shit" -

Hari Kumar hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 4 05:43:18 PST 2004

"Grant Lee" Chris said:> In my opinion, Trotsky > (not that I am overwhelmingly knowledgeable) was a good writer, obviously an able military commander, and a rather mediocre political thinker.

GL: Merely "able"? He virtually created the Red Army and I don't think there can be much doubt that if Trotsky had still been in charge the army would have responded better and quicker to the Nazi invasion. I mean, I doubt that he would have purged _35,000_ Red Army officers in 1937-38, as Stalin did. Hk: In the best tradition of Thurston, Arch Getty et al, I suggest you seriously verify your numbers. By the bye, you might also check out Lenin's correspondences with both T & S on the fronts; Mark von Hagen's history of the Red Army, and "Stalin's Generals Speak". Hari Kumar