[lbo-talk] RE: Theory of porn

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 4 07:01:53 PST 2004

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of joanna bujes Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 1:35 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] RE: Theory of porn

> Well the link would have to be the attendant growth and appeal of the
repressed--under surveillance. In other words, bigger profits for porn, less control and no social status for the workers. Works for drugs, right? I don't know if it made it more popular, but it made it more expensive. Joanna

*** Do you think that under-surveillance, industrial technology, less control and no social status for the work are the main issues behind the porn industry, as we find it tucked away in the downtown corridors and across the from the suburban 7-11? By the mid-19th century communities (at least in the US) started to have some "free time." They didn't know what to do with themselves so many of them went to church and asked their pastors. The pastors didn't know what to do until someone invented "the fun book." An encyclopaedia of games and amusements for church-goers. Is porn a secular-fun book? How is this implicated with masculine identity and invasive voyeurism?

and

> We're talking about VERY different worldviews from that of the modern. The
notion that sex is good, sex is fun is pretty much a novel invention of the last few decades, an idea shared by some 1/10 of 1% of the entire global population (surely I jest).

"Western wind, when wilt thou blow

The small rain, down can rain. Christ, that my love were in my arms,

And I, in my bed again.

Anon - 14th century

** "The infidels burst into the monastery, and Eusebia urged the holy virgins, caring more for preserving their purity than their life, to cut off their noses in order to irritate by this bloody spectacle the rage of the barbarians and to extinguish their passions. With incredible zeal, Eusebia and all her companions accomplished this act; the barbarians massacred them in the number of forty, while they confessed Christ with an admirable constancy." (monastery of Saint Cyr, southern France).

ken