[lbo-talk] birthday boy

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 4 09:23:21 PST 2004

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Today would be John Maynard Keynes's 121st birthday. Spend some borrowed
>money in his name!

It's also the birthday of Dan Quayle, the original poster boy of the GOP as the party of ideas, e.g., his 1989 remark before the United Negro College Fund: "What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

Or how about this 1989 DQ observation (I'm surprised GWB hasn't tapped him to head the new Mars project): "Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

And of course this 1988 comment of DQ is most timely now: "This election is about who's going to be the next President of the United States!"

(More DQ-isms: http://www.xmission.com/~mwalker/DQ/quayle/qq/hall.of.fame.html)

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN. http://wine.msn.com/