[lbo-talk] Bush's Re-election Chances

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Feb 4 15:36:45 PST 2004

Quoting lbo at hvgreens.org:

> What are the chances Bush will be re-elected in '04.

My feeling is, only Dean could beat the oiligarchy, because he'd mobilize voters. If Kerry is the Dem candidate, the oiligarchy triumphs. I'm not counseling despair, just a political realism as harsh as the Ice Age engulfing North America. The reality is that Bananamerica is a decaying semi-periphery which is pissing away its national wealth on evil wars of aggression and schemes of rentier enrichment.

Here in Oregon, voters just shot down a progressive income tax measure which would've rescued the state's educational system from $350 million in budget cuts. Unlike many tax measures, this was strongly progressive, and would've cost middle-income families something like $45 a year, while soaking the rich. The measure failed by 60%-40%. Mordor, here we come.

-- DRR