[lbo-talk] Kerry: America First!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 4 17:23:22 PST 2004

Michael Dawson -PSU wrote:

>So what would be
>> the point of a Nader run?
>>
>> Doug
>
>Same as last time: Exert leftward gravity on the DP and remind it that it
>can't continue to betray its constituents forever. Crack the debates open.
>Try to get Kerry to adopt a platform plank or two. Speak truth to the
>people.

Did Nader have anything like that effect in '96 or '00? Not that I can see. If anything, he hardened DP opinion against him.

I'm no Kerry fan - he's corpse-like and says some terrible stuff - but he's one of the most liberal members of the Senate. His lifetime ADA rating is higher than Teddy Kennedy's. The idea that he's a Republican is rather unfounded. In policy terms he's probably to the left of Dean.

Doug