[lbo-talk] NYC supports bill of rights

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 4 19:03:45 PST 2004

Today, New Yorkers made history.

Heeding our sustained grassroots outcry, an overwhelming majority of NYC Council Members voted today in favor of Resolution 60, which calls upon government officials to uphold civil rights and civil liberties when prosecuting the war on terrorism. And thus, NYC became the 250th legislative body in the country to pass a Bill of Rights resolution. More than 43 million people are now represented by these "civil liberties safe zones."

Given that the Council convened to deliberate on the resolution only a few blocks from Ground Zero, it was hard not to appreciate the historical significance of the vote. It's largely in the name of the New Yorkers who perished on 9/11 that the federal government continues to push through antiterrorism policies which needlessly sacrifice our most fundamental rights and freedoms. But today, New Yorkers took a stand and proclaimed:

No more rounding up thousands of innocent immigrants of Arab, Muslim and South Asian descent. No more detentions without charges of US citizens. No more snooping into our private records. No more stifling of political speech.

Today, New Yorkers said: not in our name.

It inspires us to reflect on the achievments of this movement, our movement, the Bill of Rights defense movement. Nationally, it began with meetings in Northampton, Ann Arbor, and Madison. Locally, it began with a core group of dedicated individuals meeting in living rooms, storefronts, and churches in Brooklyn. Today, it hit its peak . . . so far.

Congratulations!

The passage of the resolution today lays the groundwork for future efforts to protect and uphold our rights and liberties in the face of misguided antiterrorism initiatives. We will continue to educate New Yorkers on post-9/11 civil liberties issues, pass legislation on the local and state level, and mobilize the public and expand our coalition of activist organizations.

We are already considering several initiatives to pursue on as we continue the struggle. You'll hear from us soon as the plans begin to gel. In the meantime, appreciate your victory. There's no mistake about it: today was a major victory for the Bill of Rights, and for the people of the United States. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Udi Ofer Project Director New York Bill of Rights Defense Campaign

Glenn C. Devitt Chair New York City Bill of Rights Defense Campaign

<http://www.nybordc.org> <http://www.nyclu.org>