[lbo-talk] Kerry: America First!

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Feb 4 21:39:57 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> But Chuck, aren't you giving a lot of weight to electoral politics that
> way? Shouldn't the point be to build a movement outside the electoral
> arena, if you really want to raise issues? What would another chimerical
> run by a lone nut do to raise issues?

I prefer to do my politics outside of the regular political system and I remain very much against participation in elections. But a Nader run for presidency would raise issues in a way guaranteed to monkeywrench the current state of the U.S. political system. Ralph Nader is NOT a lone nut. He has widespread name recognition, serious credibility as somebody who really fights "special interest groups," and a track record of political support. And if Nader is such an irrelevant nut, why is so much ink being spilled in the left press asking him not to run?

It's his choice of course, but he is in a unique position to push issues onto the media stage that are near and dear to many of us.

Just as long as he doesn't pick any running mates with the last name of Fulani or Stockton. ;-)

Chuck0