[lbo-talk] Poor, wretched Soviets

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 07:03:16 PST 2004

Sorry Doug -- I know I'm over esp. because of that accidental doublesend, but I thought this was worth forwarding in this context. I don't have any more time to post today, anyway, as I am too busy writing Stalinist apologetics. Anyway, this is the exchenge I just had with my girlfriemd Tat'yana from Kazakhstan on this issue (scroll up from bottom, obviously). I believe this is the longest exchange I have ever had with her in English. ---

It sounds ridiculously :) And... I feel indignation, listening to such categorical judgements. Despite of propaganda, simple people thought only good about Americans: that they are liberated, smile much, self-confident and able to earn money.

Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote: The KGB was following everybody 24 hours a day. Minority nationalities (Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Jews, Chechens, etc.) were horribly persecuted by Russians and lived like slaves. There was never enough food to eat. Rock music was illegal. Everybody was always sad. Soviet architecture was bad. The Moscow metro was bad (!!!!!). Things like that. This is because of Western propaganda during the Cold War.

Beata Stultica <beatastultica at yahoo.com> wrote: Would you so kind to give me some examples? :) I want to laugh.

Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote: Thank you! That's what I thought. I think you would laugh if you heard some of the things people in the West believe about the USSR.

Beata Stultica <beatastultica at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi Chris! I'm very glad to be helpful for you :) Generally I've never seen the really poor worker at that times (USSR). My grandfather was a miner and his income was bigger then my father's income (he is a doctor, psychiatrist!) I dare to say the GOOD workers were never poor.

Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi Tanya! Privet! I am having an argument with some people in the West on the Internet. Maybe you can help me. Were workers (rabochiye) very poor in the Soviet Union?