[lbo-talk] Kerry: America First!

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 5 12:14:43 PST 2004

>>But, notwithstanding all that, I'm also surprised you put so much
>>stock in ADA Senatorial scores.
>
>I'm not endorsing the ADA (that's Max's job), but it's a venerable
>and reasonably "objective" measure. Do you have any evidence of
>Kerry's deep GOPness aside from a feeling?
>
>Doug

From a local DSA activist Rick Wilhelm:

***** Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:45:30 -0800 From: Rick Wilhelm Subject: [C-JwJ] Six issues and how the candidates stand To: columbuslabor at topica.com . . .

I have compiled a chart on the Democratic candidates on 6 major issues, combining NAFTA and Fast Track into one for scoring. The chart and explanations can be accessed here: <http://dsco1.tripod.com/issues.htm>http://dsco1.tripod.com/issues.htm

It was surprising to me, in compiling this chart, that Kerry, on these five issues, has a worse record than Lieberman. I have included Carol Moseley Braun and Dick Gephardt. The issues are: NAFTA and Fast Track, the Welfare Reform Bill of 1996, the Patriot Act, the Millionaire tax cuts, and the Iraq War Resolution.

Rick Wilhelm *****

***** 1) Welfare Reform Bill of 1996 . . . Kerry Voted For W.R. Bill Howard Dean Supports W.R. Bill . . .

John Kerry: On the domestic front, after his New Hampshire victory, Kerry boasted to CNN viewers that he voted for the 1996 "welfare reform" law -- which amounts to class war against low-income mothers. (Normon Solomon quote.) Common Dreams: http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0130-10.htm

Howard Dean: Likewise, Howard Dean also supported that draconian measure. On the eve of the New Hampshire primary, Dean talked about the welfare law as a terrific booster of self-esteem for poor moms -- even though the law is pushing them out of the home into dead-end minimum wage jobs. (Normon Solomon quote.) Common Dreams: http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0130-10.htm . . .

2) Patriot Act of 2001 . . . Kerry Voted For Act . . .

3) Iraq War Resolution . . . Kerry Voted for Resolution . . .

Kerry: Voted for Iraq War Resolution. Has defended that position many times. Now says Bush should have "explored all other options first." However, in his statement on the floor of Congress, he was obviously looking for a good reason, since he said in part: "Why is Saddam Hussein attempting to develop nuclear weapons when most nations don't even try, and responsible nations that have them attempt to limit their potential for disaster?" The evidence was slim to none for that statement, as was common knowledge in the halls of Congress that the statement had no merit. Kerry's statement supporting the war was full of hypocrisy. Kerry's full statement can be assessed here: http://www.independentsforkerry.org/uploads/media/kerry-iraq.html . . .

4a & 4b) Fast Track Trade Authority / NAFTA Source: http://www.cwa-union.org/international/ftaa/congress_votes.asp . . . Kerry Voted for Fast Track in 97/98, 2001, 2002. Supports NAFTA . . .

5) Millionaire Tax Cuts . . . Kerry Did not vote . . .

Progressive Scorecard explanation

Why these issues were chosen / Scoring

The Welfare Reform issue was chosen frankly because it is an important issue to me. I feel it shows a brazen contempt for the less fortunate, and was a defining moment for the lengths the Clinton Administration would go to gain re-election. Each issue counts 20 points. . . .

<http://dsco1.tripod.com/issues.htm> ***** -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040205/67d4174a/attachment.htm>