[lbo-talk] Re: Buddhism, Porn, Scholars and Body Parts

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 08:31:16 PST 2004

Kelley wrote:

While hetmen say, "women are lucky, they can always get laid," -- a statement that makes it seem as if hetmen desire a situation in which women are all like Samantha -- hetwomen also get the message that, while Samantha is judged sexy, she's not worthy of being the most desirable fuck, let alone the number one date choice.

Who is? Charlotte. The one who is most insistent on having a relationship. The one who acts virginally prim, who doesn't give hummers, who is *shocked, just shocked* by even the things Carrie finds acceptable. Charlotte is the most desirable fuck and the most desirable relationship material. (After all, she may be prim and proper in bed, but with the right guy--and a guy who isn't conventionally attractive and who, in fact, is a bit of a loud mouth--she become a sex-crazed animal in bed. Madonna/Whore complex)

Not surprisingly, in 2004, hetmen feel that hetwomen have all the power when it comes to sex. *smirk*

Kelley

(who can hear Dwayne groaning about feminazis)

Now Kelley, here I am slaving away over a hot keyboard and you had to go and rouse me from my robotic state. Well, that Sun server can wait (or configure itself, dumb silicon bastard); I tag myself in.

Outside of amateur comedy bits at parties where I imitate Rush Limbaugh (and let me tell you, the oxycontin material is pure gold!) I don't think I've ever used the word feminazi in my life. But you're right, I do have an alternative view of the Charlotte / Samantha diametric though I think yours is an accurate description of the POV of a certain kind of meathead (I'm thinking Camaro or Trans Am driver - but that's elitist so I should be spanked for such musings).

Sadly, I don't have any scholarship to cite, only my experience and observations as a hetman (did you know there's a Hotel Hetman in Warsaw? - http://www.warsaw-hotels-tours.com/hotel_hetman.html ) who has dated, lusted, loved, won and lost over the years with a fair amount of good humor.

Here's the thing about Samantha and her style-of-presentation sisters: in my experience the zuper-zex-girl act, which, conventional wisdom says should excite men beyond reasoning, is just that, an act. It's reminiscent of the treatment you get (so I've read - in um, books) at strip joints and some nightclubs. Poor sods with little experience often find this sexciting but guys who've been around the block - and experience does count in these matters - know there's much drama afoot when the advertising campaign is so aggressively promoted.

Charlotte? She's a caricature of a 1950's librarian. I don't dig her at all (well, she is cute and I'm a sucker for long legs but beyond that). Her perpetual state of hand-over-mouth en-shockedness (no, it's not a word - but it should be) is tiresome and unworthy of a grownup. I'd dismiss Charlotte from class for the same reason I weary of Meg Ryan's eternal ingenue - uh, aren't you 40-something? Isn't it long-past-time to have some adult knowledge?

So Charlotte doesn't impress me but, as part of the dramatic dyad under discussion she's all we've got so here goes.

Yes, as you say, there are guys who pine for Charlotte because of the good girl act and the latent, Madonna / Whore implications. But there's another reason: she doesn't seem (let's stress the 'seems' here - cause I'm all about qualifying statements and admiting other possibilities when it comes to this gender stuff) to be selling you anything.

If she's an easily disturbed nerdanista in almost sensible heels you -- potential dating partner guy model M-332 -- may not like it but at least she's not hitting you about the head with the 'look-in-zee here baby, I'm a zex goddess!' routine.

So, if I was forced, at the business end of a class 5 plasma rifle, to choose between Samantha and Charlotte I'd have to go with the latter if only because I suspect my life would be a little less occluded by the mist of phoniness.

DRM

(awaiting my punishment)