[lbo-talk] Kerry: America First!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 6 12:37:21 PST 2004

Michael Dawson -PSU wrote:

>That's mighty thin soup,

I've never said it was thick or nourishing or particularly tasty either. How many times do I have to say "marginally better policies and a better discursive and organizing environment" before it registers?

> especially when you put Alaska against Clinton's
>servile foot-dragging on the Kyoto Accords,

Compare foot-dragging to throwing it out the window, and questioning the reality of global warming. Like I said, a marginally better policy and a better discursive and organizing environment.

> and when you recall that it was
>pre-FLA activist pressure that forced Nike and others to form the FLA in the
>first place.

But that's just the point - he had to respond to that pressure, even with a bullshit gesture. And the bullshit gesture spurred the activists on. The Reps wouldn't have even touched it in the first place. Marginally better policy and a better discursive and organizing environment.

Doug