[lbo-talk] hedonic pricing update

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Feb 6 13:31:41 PST 2004

Doug wrote:
>...I discovered that they stopped publishing the real dollar figure
>because they wanted to discourage people from adding up the
>components to get the aggregates, because chain-type numbers aren't
>additive. (Add them up, subtract from the aggregate, and you get the
>residual.) They still use the figures internally, and publish a
>chain-type quantity index for the series they discontinued
>publishing the real dollar amounts of. The BEA still stands by its
>hedonic technique.

This makes no sense. An "aggregate," by definition, is the sum of its "components."

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)