[lbo-talk] Saddam ordered Koran written in his own blood: Calligrapher

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Feb 7 08:22:03 PST 2004

HindustanTimes.com

Friday, February 6, 2004

Saddam ordered Koran written in his own blood: Calligrapher

Agence France-Presse Amman, February 5

Calligrapher Abbas Shaker Jawdah toiled for two years to transcribe the Koran, Islam's holy book, on a personal commission from Saddam Hussein, writing in what he was told was the dictator's own blood.

Now a refugee in Jordan with his wife and three children, Jawdah described how he fulfilled Saddam's strange order, which came a few months after a failed assassination attempt against his eldest son Uday in 1998.

He said he was regularly supplied with vials said to contain Saddam's blood for the task. "Saddam Hussein summoned me to the Ibn Sina hospital in Baghdad where his son Uday was recovering from an assassination bid and asked me to write a copy of the Koran with his own blood," he said.

He explained that Saddam wanted this as a gesture of gratitude to God for sparing Uday - who was eventually killed with his brother Qusay in a raid by US forces in the northern city of Mosul on July 22 last year.

Jawdah worked diligently for the next two years to reproduce the 114-chapter Koran in a 35-by-35 centimetre edition, which he said was displayed at the Om al-Maarek (Mother of Battles) museum of Baghdad.

"It was not an easy task," said Jawdah, who is known for his calligraphic masterpieces in Iraq and elsewhere in the Arab world.

"I was given a vial containing the leader's blood and a week later I submitted a one-page draft to a special committee for its approval," he said.

© Hindustan Times Ltd. 2004.