[lbo-talk] Activistism & the Democratic Party (Kerry: America First!)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 7 09:04:57 PST 2004

Doug wrote:

>How many times do I have to say "marginally better policies and a
>better discursive and organizing environment" before it registers?

Hasn't that _always_ been true, though, since FDR? That's an argument for ABR (Anybody But a Republican), not for ABB (Anybody But Bush).

You complain of US activist culture mirroring "the pragmatic empiricism of the dominant culture," with few interested in works of such theorists as Bakunin, Marx, and Fanon (Liza Featherstone, Doug Henwood, and Christian Parenti, "'Action Will Be Taken': Left Anti-intellectualism and Its Discontents," <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Action.html>). It's no wonder, however, that pragmatic empiricism dominates activist culture, for it is _the_ philosophy of submission to the hegemony of the Democratic Party. You don't need any radical theory to keep supporting the Democratic Party empirically and pragmatically as the lesser evil.

The Democratic Party = the Death of Theory. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>