[lbo-talk] Activistism & the Democratic Party (Kerry: America First!)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 10:29:51 PST 2004

I guess some of us have concluded that for this election the GOP alternative is so much worse than it has ever been, and so threatening to the country and thr world, that thsiu time the marginal advantage makes it worse actively supporting the useful capitalist slimebags. This is not an argument that one shoulda lways support the slightly better slimebags. In normal times, Bush I v. Clinton, the marginal difference did not seem to me to be great enough. But no-lesser-evilism is not a categorial imperative, it is a pragmatic guess about what will work out best. I would support Weimar against Hitler. I voted for Modale against Regan because I thought the Gipper was going to blow up the world. I don't think the country can easily survive another four years of unilateral imperialism, mad dog judicial appoints -- especially with Stevens in his eighties -- reckless spending, and pandering to the hard right unmitigated by any leaven. I canm think of nothing even remorely acceptable that W has done. So call me a sell out. When I get back to Chi, I'm volunteering for the Kerry campaign. jks