[lbo-talk] hedonic pricing update

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Sat Feb 7 14:08:18 PST 2004

No a log loader is a forestry thing I am sure American forestry companies have them as well. Perhaps not and that is why they keep slapping duty on the more productive CDN forestry industry.

I get that computer processing speeds are up and so is data storage capacity but it is the notion that because computers are more "powerful" they are more productive that I have some trouble buying into. In many cases processing time on a project remains the same because more data is being crammed into the project. A good example is GIS. More data is being rendered in several different formats. Now while this may be a qualitative change in the product I wonder if it is an instance of being more productive (useful). My friends in the GIS industry are always attempting to wow me with their latest graphical rendering of land usage. Despite receiving a steady stream of new machines with bigger processors and bigger storage capacity they are also still going for coffee to wait for their machines to finish processing and rendering the data and still scavenging for storage space. I am not saying they are necessarily spending as long at the coffee maker but the doubling of their processing power has not translated into a halving of their wait times. Moreover, Doubling of processing power has not translated into products that have allowed for a doubling of conservation efforts or subdivision planning. They all have slicker presentations to make their pitch however.

The neoclassical's violate their own marginal productivity theory every time they calculate the productivity of machines from the price of those machines. Hedonic pricing makes an even bigger mess of the whole problem. In the neoclassical marginal productivity theory the price of capital must be derived from its productivity not vice-a -versa. So simply calculating productivity by multiplying a nominal figure by some imputed coefficient derived from a guess about the relationship between processing power and efficiency seems like a boondoggle to me.

It seems to me that it is better to simply stick with nominal values discounted for inflation. if GDP per capta goes up and the total hours of work remains the same along with levels of capital investment then it would be reasonable to infer that labour productivity has been increased by investment in better equipment and or managerial control. I am not convinced that it is possible to dissagregate the components of productivity anymore than this.

Travis ----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 1:20 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] hedonic pricing update

> T Fast wrote:
>
> >All things being equal a $500,000 log loader made today is much more
> >"productive" than a $500,000 dollar log loader purchased 20 years ago.
How