[lbo-talk] Activistism & the Democratic Party (Kerry: America First!)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 8 10:05:48 PST 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>The Republican Party shows no sign of getting better, though. What
>if the Republican candidates in 2008, 2012, 2016, ad infinitum will
>be worse than George W. Bush? You'll keep supporting the Democratic
>Party?

I don't "support" the Democratic party. I'm going to vote for a Democrat for president, and urge others to do so. Aside from those actions, which don't really take a lot of time, I'm going to keep analyzing why capitalism sucks, trying to convince others that capitalism sucks, and supporting all kinds of independent radical organizing. For some reason, you think that that's all incompatible with pulling a lever (which is what we still do in New York), but it doesn't seem that way to me at all.

>>I wish one of you would respond to my argument that a Dem president
>>provides a better discursive and organzing environment for more
>>radical critiques of The System.
>
>If that's the reason for supporting the Democratic Party, we'll have
>to support the Democratic Party at least every four years -- when
>will we have time to discourse and organize for a mass party to the
>left of it? What's the point of "radical critiques of The System"
>if they have to be shelved every four years?

Why do you think it's so impossible to offer highly critical support to a candidate now & then and do the rest? Time is limited, but it's not *that* limited. It looks like your anxiety about time is really one about an absolute rigidity of principle - one simply *can't* be a true radical and vote for a Democrat because, well, you just can't - that's less a real principle than an obsessional neurotic's rule.

Doug