[lbo-talk] Newsweek poll

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 8 12:01:42 PST 2004

Christian Gregory wrote:

>What a loony bin we live in. 51% are against marriage or civil
>unions, but 60% favor health insurance for gay spouses. I know, the
>contradiction is built into the poll, but who are these people?

I think it's this: mainstream het Americans don't like "discrimination," or at least say they don't, but don't want to grant same-sexers the full humanity that legalizing marriage would signify. The former allows them to compartmentalize the sexual/emotional stuff that makes them squirm; the latter gets too close to bringing it into the open.

Doug