[lbo-talk] Does the wolf in sheep's clothing provide "a betterdiscursive and organzing environment for more radical critiquesof The System"

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 8 12:27:24 PST 2004

...the main point of this article.....:

http://maritimes.indymedia.org/news/2003/06/5947.php

is to reveal an important aspect of the Democratic Party, its historic role as a counterinsurgency operation whose aim is to co-opt and sidetrack political activists, keep them from creating an independent political movement, and divert their energy into legitimating and reinforcing the political system which maintains the status-quo.

It would be hard to imagine a Republican who could accomplish as much for capital as did Clinton in his two terms. He pushed through NAFTA, GATT, the WTO and other globalization measures. His administration enacted the ‘96 Telecommunications Act which was the largest give-away of public domain to private interests in U.S. history. matched with a giveaway in the realm of the Internet. It went all-out to promote the bio-tech industry. The '96 Anti Terrorism Act, which followed the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City in April ‘95 (about which serious questions remain) paved the way wholesale for today's police state measures, and words were backed by action in the streets of Seattle in December ‘99 as U.S. military units were used in domestic policing operations, part of a far-reaching planning process which preceded today's developments re Homeland Security/Northern Command.

Welfare "reform" went further than any other bill to undermine what remained of the social welfare measures of the New Deal which provided a safety net for living standards.The Iraqi trade embargo and pretty regular air attacks on that impoverished country led to over one million deaths and massive misery. The attack on Yugoslavia in ‘99 in complete violation of international law opened the way for moves being undertaken by Bush Junior today, and was coupled with a reorientation of NATO towards being openly an intervention force whose task is the enforcement of corporate global interests anywhere in the world. Yet it would be a complete mistake to paint Clinton as a "traitor" to the ideals of the Democratic Party. These "ideals" have never amounted to more than salad-dressing on top of a corporate elite dinner whose essence was the securing of enough legitimacy at home to secure continued capital accumulation everywhere, ultimately by any means necessary. There was much more continuity with the Democratic past than a break with it, as i've tried to show so far.

_________________________________________________________________ Optimize your Internet experience to the max with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/