[lbo-talk] Bush interview

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 15:21:43 PST 2004

I thought Russert asked surprisingly 'tough' questions within the small space permitted for real reportage in big-biz media. It could have been a love fest in which 'how do you keep your hair so shiny oh mighty Autarch?' would have been the high point. Russet acquited himself well under the circumstances.

Even so, the overall effect was yet another journey into the surreal simplicity of G. W. Bush thought.

The administration in general, but Bush / Cheney in particular, use the Sept-11 we're-fighting-a-new-war reference with such monotonous consistency it wouldn't surprise me to hear Bush say, with a silly-ass smirk, 'the evildoers are being dealt with' if asked for the time of day.

>From the start, alert viewers knew, despite new
questions being on the table, that they'd been down this road with the Prez unit before:

Russert: On Friday, you announced a committee, commission to look into intelligence failures regarding the Iraq war and our entire intelligence community. You have been reluctant to do that for some time. Why?

President Bush: Well, first let me kind of step back and talk about intelligence in general, if I might. Intelligence is a vital part of fighting and winning the war against the terrorists. It is because the war against terrorists is a war against individuals who hide in caves in remote parts of the world, individuals who have these kind of shadowy networks, individuals who deal with rogue nations. So, we need a good intelligence system. We need really good intelligence.

So, the commission I set up is to obviously analyze what went right or what went wrong with the Iraqi intelligence. It was kind of lessons learned. But it's really set up to make sure the intelligence services provide as good a product as possible for future presidents as well. This is just a part of analyzing where we are on the war against terror.

There is a lot of investigations going on about the intelligence service, particularly in the Congress, and that's good as well. The Congress has got the capacity to look at the intelligence gathering without giving away state secrets, and I look forward to all the investigations and looks.

Again, I repeat to you, the capacity to have good intelligence means that a president can make good calls about fighting this war on terror.

[...]

full transcript at -

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4179618/

DRM