[lbo-talk] Bachelors, Divorcees,& Frumpy Wives (Kerry: America First!)

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Sun Feb 8 16:32:28 PST 2004

kelley wrote:
> This is really evident in the coffee shop scenes whenever they bring up
> some controversial topic: spit or swallow? pussy eating etiquette. hummers.
> to put out or not. etc. Samantha and Charlotte typically provide the most
> extreme responses. Carrie and Miranda are always somewhere between
> them--portrayed as the most like real (or typical) women. But, Miranda is
> just too successful, too independent, too Redhead. She will appeal to some
> men. And speaking of isn't it interesting: what about the class/social
> power implications of pairing a high powered attorney with a barkeep? Liza?

Yeah, this is interesting. I like having her be the one with the high-powered job while he is the homebody, and how completely it seems to fit both their personalities. Their relationship and its tensions seems like one of the least contrived and most realistic things about the show. Also, Steve is a great representation of a modern working-class guy: he totally codes as working-class yet -- contrary to usual crude stereotype of working-class man, he is more attuned to the relationship than she is, great with the kid, etc. In a way this is an updated variation of an old cliche -- he is the authentic feeling, sweating worker to her cold yuppie -- but what's unusual for TV is a portrayal of a working-class guy who is not an ignorant Archie Bunker or a thuggy gangster or cop or some other stock Neanderthal, but a really sensitive cool person who likes to read and is comfortable in his own skin. He doesn't need Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Everyone knows that's not at all unusual in life but I can't think of many other examples on TV.

Liza