[lbo-talk] Bachelors, Divorcees, & Frumpy Wives (Kerry: America First!)

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Feb 9 07:26:18 PST 2004

On Monday, February 9, 2004, at 09:15 AM, kelley at pulpculture.org wrote:

> This is not to say that there was much in the way of enlightened
> analysis on SATC, but there was a willingness to examine the topics
> as, possibly, about something _more_ than the foibles of two
> individuals. Still, whatever leanings it had in that direction, it
> seems undermined my the subtext: Women are their own Worst Enemy.

Well, I don't think you could expect much enlightened analysis when so much time on the show was spent in Prada stores, etc. (Yes, I know that many women can shop and do deep analysis at the same time, but it's more likely to be the ones who do their shopping in thrift stores, like my fiancee.) I think the show was almost as much about the "city" in the title as it was about the "sex." And the New York it was about was not Harlem or the Bronx or the other working class parts of the city, it was all about fabulous, glamorous, Manhattan!! Who can hang around those locales and do any serious analysis of anything?

But then, perhaps I'm just jealous because I'm here in the city of Brotherly Love, which of course is much less glamorous. (But I've always preferred it to fab Manhattan, anyway. The aforementioned fiancee says the thrift stores here are much better than the ones in NYC.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)