[lbo-talk] Consumer goods (Back to the USSR)

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Feb 9 07:26:42 PST 2004

One aspect of consumer goods that hasn't been discussed in this thread yet (or if it has, I've missed it) is food. One big part of anti-USSR propaganda I recall vividly is the constant pictures of grocery stores with one moldy cabbage on the shelves, and the claim that Soviet agriculture was always in trouble, partly because of the Lysenko business (also, I guess, because so much emphasis in the 5-year plans went to industrial development). Any truth to this?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)