[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

Seth Ackerman sethia at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 9 09:09:05 PST 2004

From: "Stephen E Philion" <philion at hawaii.edu>

> --good question, but to tell ya the truth i don't know who within the
> resistance is blowing up the civilians .

If there are folks in the resistance who don't like the attacks against civilians, I haven't seen any indication they've tried to dissociate themselves from it.

> In terms of who we support and don't support, I dunno.

If you're not sure whether or not we should support the resistance, why were you so vociferous in attacking that article that said we shouldn't support it?

> I do know that
> the ONLY factor that will revive the US antiwar movement is if, like
> today, on an average 1.5 AMERICAN deaths occur in Iraq. Otherwise,
> little in the way of movement in the US on the antiwar front is likely.
> Little else can I be certain of.

Sounds pretty cynical to me. How is that attitude any better than Sharon saying x number of Jews have to die per day or else political support for my hard line will collapse?

Seth