[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Mon Feb 9 11:00:16 PST 2004

It is indeed worth thinking about. There are a lot of different forms of "resistance" there, many not about blowing anybody up. On Doug's radio show, Naomi Klein said that rather than worry about all the different resistance groups that might be distasteful - my paraphrase, I can't remember her exact words - and which ones we should lend our "armchair" support, the anti-war movement should organize in international solidarity with the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis protesting in the street who are calling for the U.S. to leave, and for real democracy and real elections. "Election not Selection" has been one rallying cry. As Klein argued, there's no doubt we should support THAT resistance in whatever meaningful way we can. Calling for what these Iraqis want - real democracy - also has the advantage of turning Bush's own rhetoric on its hypocritical head. It's also politically, a language that most everyone in the US speaks, an advantage to those writing/organizing/conversing in the US context.

Of course, the Iraqis will probably vote horrible people into power. But the principle that this is a decision they should be allowed to make themselves is a good one.

Liza