[lbo-talk] Re: Working Class was Re: Bachelors, Divorcees....

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 9 11:27:32 PST 2004

Dear List:

Carrol wrote:

> The working class constitutes somewhere between 85% & 90% of the population. In so far as there are variations in culture within the population there are nearly the same variations of culture within the working class. Hence comments on "culture" _or_ on "personal experience" are intrinsically counter-productive from a progressive viewpoint, since the tendency of such comments is to divide the working class against itself in theory and hence contribute to its fragmentation in practice.

While I would agree that the great majority of the population is working class, I do not see how comments can be intinsically anything. They are comments and do not have an essence.

A comment regarding "culture" or "personal experience" is only divisive when a person uses it in a divisive fashion or a person decides to interpret the comment divisively. In theory anything can be divisive (hence my suspicion of theory since anything is possible). It all depends on use.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister