[lbo-talk] RE: Consumer goods

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Feb 9 11:57:52 PST 2004

Michael D writes: "It's also bad politics. The left should be calling for better mundane

products, not none. If we'd spent half the money we've spent on cars on providing rail, bicycle, and foot infrastructure, our transportation system would be unimaginably great. If people didn't have to work so much to pay for capitalist waste (e.g., private cars) and overhead (marketing and private oligopolistic pricing), they'd have more time to enjoy better food and ideas."

Michael, I agree, so perhaps I misspoke. Other than cars/stereos/tv's, I don't remember that much was "missing" in Eastern Europe. In fact, in the 70's and 80's Romania was producing great consumer goods; the problem was, they were all being produced for export since the IMF had gotten a solid grip on the country. That's when the real immiseration started.

I guess I think of "consumer goods" as the hugely destructive planned obsolescence economy we have right now. I can think of no reason not to build a record player that lasts 50 years...or 100. Same for houses, transportation, etc. So, I'm all for good quality, durable consumer goods. Much easier on the planet.

Joanna