[lbo-talk] Gadamer, Truth and Method

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Feb 9 13:40:53 PST 2004

``...what did Strauss eat, and how did he eat it? Perhaps that will shed more light on his "Let no good deed go un-shit-upon" attitude. Probably reductionistic of me to say that... but I'm working on being less a philosopher and more of an historiographer. Have you read the recent biography of Spinoza?..'' Ken

--------

He was Orthodox, but atheist. Did Bac-O-Bits on his salad send him into paroxysms of rage and tirades on purity?

I would love to find all the usual diagnostic indicators: pyshco-sexual dysfunctional masculinity with anal-fixtation undertones and a vegetarian diet. Liked German Shepards and Doberman Pinschers. Had photo collection of Wandervogel boys in Lederhosen...

But alas, Leo was not as cinemagraphic as Bertolucci's Conformist.

Scenes I would like to see: Feyerabend and Strauss discussing the relativity of values and the problems of empiricism...

No, I haven't read the recent biography of Spinoza---in fact haven't read any bio of S. If it covers his correspondence with Huygens and Leibniz and it sounds like the biographer understood enough physics, math, and philosphy to fill in the blanks then I would be very much be interested. But, even so, send the citation anyway.

Chuck Grimes