[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 9 14:54:52 PST 2004

Overposted (and wage labor awaits soon, anyway ;-(, so my final comment for the day, in my obsessive trawling from left, right and center, (on the topics that I well, obsess on), aspects of the totality, as refracted by the various ideological/political/material interests in play, on the world and US terrain, enter into my pov on the hard questions, that too often get boilerplate knee jerks from lefties that have never re-thought a ? since their original radicalization.

To be concrete, I think that by and large the resistance to occupation is home grown, both Ba'thist and hostile to Ba'thists, both it would be foolish to discount that al-Q has seized on this to infil as many militants to bloody the USG as it can. Think like the enemy of the USG thinks, al-Q in this case (w/o forgetting that al-Q has a direct and indirect parentage, along w/ more purely internal to Islamist politics/regime decayorigins/trajectory, not reducable to strings pulled from Langley, Va.) , and my pov, becomes a bit more comprehensible.

Stop, being such a eithor/or reductionist, Steve. Remember dialectical contradictions? The resistance, has still no unified leadership (though I saw hints in that Iraqi Resistance Report from a Arab-Am. newspaper out of Detroit I've fwded. here, in the recent past, of such moves afoot) or coherent ideology or program that has support among the broad Iraqi masses, besides, kill as many US military, Kurds and Sh'ia as possible, for? Yes, the US should not be there, and like everyone else I want the USG out, but, again, what is the program or political basis there that is congruent w/ say the program of the FSLN, NLF or FDR-FMLN? NADA damn thing. M.P.