[lbo-talk] RE: Activism

Mathias Bismo mathiasb at broadpark.no
Mon Feb 9 16:38:41 PST 2004

The "mainstream" answer to why Social Democracy developed in Western Europe is the abundant society and the possibility to create a more egalitarian situation without having to deprive the rich of too much of their richness. This is at least the image presented in Norwegian schools.

I believe this is a wrong picture. The USA was just as abundant as Western Europe, but Social Democracy never developed. I believe the answer to why is obvious. From a class struggle perspective emigration from Europe forced the bourgeoise to make compromises. Labour, earlier an abundant resource, became scarcer as people left. But with technology still developing the situation changed. The working class got a stronger voice vis á vis the the bourgeoise. Accordingly the working class was able to constitute itself as a political party.

The USA was the total opposite. If workers objected to the working conditions, new waves of immigrants, willing to work under these circumstances, came all the time. As such, there was never an opportunity for the working class to constitute the party.