[lbo-talk] RE: consumer goods

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Tue Feb 10 09:46:31 PST 2004

I've been to the Czech Republic myself. The point isn't that things were completely unliveable, but that the resources were wasted and the poeple's wishes were ignored. You yourself describe the tolerance for drunken "consumer goods" workers. If things were so great under Brezhnev, why do the folks keep electing IMF allies?

Meanwhile, the entire problem was built into the Communist power structure. As Gorbachev knew, the elites were so busy trying to justify themselves and keep the military economy/Cold War game from imploding, they couldn't devote proper attention to ordinary people's conditions.

I don't trash the idea of economic planning. I trash the idea of undemocratic economic planning. Why make excuses for the USSR? It was a failure.