[lbo-talk] pilger's actual words on the resistance

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 10 19:33:47 PST 2004

seth wrote The point is, a lot of people who opposed the war are tempted to, or have actually declared their support for the resistance. And as long as the latter is the way it is, I don't think this is good for the Iraqis or the antiwar movement.

--i'm not sure many have declared their support, in fact probably the opposite, especially in the United States where any support for those shooting at American soldiers is considered worse than treason it seems. I think Pilger is British, so he's not as afraid of violating such protocols. I also believe Geras finds himself uncomfortable with Pilger's contention that the resistance, in whatever form, will frustrate the US's extending its mission onwards to Syria and North Korea and god knows where else...for the simple reason that Geras would support more adventures by the US in these two countries. That is the motivation behind Geras' remarks, plain and simple.

steve