[lbo-talk] The desertion issue

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 11 10:04:50 PST 2004

Someone in his warren of data mongers _must_ have some estimates in response to the following questions:

1. How many people in the U.S. subscribe to one or more daily newspapers?

2. What are the estimates as to what proportion of subscribers read the whole of news stories (especially when continued beyond the first page?

The transcription Dwayne offers of the press conference would have to be read fairly carefully and with more care than my university students ordinarily read texts in order to cause any unravelling of the issue. I don't believe one could pick this up from casual listening to a TV newscast.

I haven't really tried very hard to keep up with majority public opinion. For the time being I'm only interested in that 30% +/- that have fairly consistently opposed the war and its aftermath. Those who are interested in the other 70% should give us more analysis than they have been offering.

Carrol