[lbo-talk] Kerry Says He Might Support Constitutional Amendment to Ban Gay Marriage

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Wed Feb 11 10:08:57 PST 2004

Regarding marriage as somehow inherently religious, can't churches or synagogues or whatever refuse to perform to marry heterosexual couples if they deny or flaunt the tenets of their faith? I'm sure that in practice very few turn away het couples, but couldn't they in principle?

If so, then churches/synagogues/etc may turn down gay couples too. But with gay civil marriage, as with current het marriage, the gay couple could do what the straight couple can: get a piece of paper from city hall that says they're married and receive the benefits and privleges of married couples. The important thing are the rights confered on couples by marriage. The religious issue is then a dodge (if I'm correct that churches, etc. do not have to marry each and every het that comes knocking)

Curtiss