[lbo-talk] Re: Kerry Says he Might Support Amendment on Gay Marriage

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 11 10:22:58 PST 2004

Dear List:

jks wrote:

> Politically, though, it's not so clear that it's good to have this issue come to a head before the election. It brings all the rats out of the walls and mobilizes the loonies, while risking polarization of the people in the center. Well, it's out now, so we will see what difference it makes, if any.

I think that some of the risk may come from the progressive side. It cannot be just the Republicans/conservatives/radical right who are telling pollsters that they are against gay marriage. I think this issue touches a lot of nerves for people on the left as well.

The loonies are already out on the right; gay marriage is just their latest rallying point. It remains to be seen if the left can capitalize on this issue and rally its own troops. As an issue, gay marriage serves as a stark, clear contrast with conservative politics. Unfortunately, the rats may be in the walls of the left and they may try to sabotage any effort to coalesce the left around gay marriage.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister