[lbo-talk] Kerry Says He Might Support ConstitutionalAmendment to Ban Gay Marriage

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Wed Feb 11 11:07:34 PST 2004

IOW, just getting "married" in a church by some
> clergy wouldn't any longer be enough to get legal recognition.
>

> Matt

Again, I'm almost shocked at how confused we are on this. "Just getting married in a church" is ALREADY not good enough. Everybody who wants their church marriage to stick and have teeth goes to city hall and acquires a marriage license. After the church marries the couple, the preacher (whom the state recognizes as an agent for this purpose) signs the marriage license, which the couple then must submit to the government. There is no such thing as a church-only wedding. Undoubtedly there are freaks out in the woods that think they're exceptions to this, but all marriages require state approval. Church is but paint on the wagon, if that.