[lbo-talk] RE: Consumer goods

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Wed Feb 11 13:45:04 PST 2004

I think that the problem was that the original participants in BART - county governments - insisted that an extension into Santa Clara county should include payment by the residents of Santa Clara county of a proportional amount of the original cost of the BART system. Whether they wanted interest on their investment I don't know. The residents of Santa Clara didn't want to end up with that bill.

Santa Clara county was 'the valley of heart's delite' when BART was planned, mostly apricot farmers and other agricultural activities and consequently hadn't seen fit to participate in the original BART project.

Seems like a bunch of short-sightedness all around, but I don't think that it had anything to do with suburban rats and rails.

Martin