[lbo-talk] Activism - On person's objectivity is another persons' subjectivity

Hari Kumar hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 11 15:37:35 PST 2004

Jon Johaning wrote: "I wish the "objective conditions" did obtain -- I really do. I hate like hell living in a situation without these conditions. But I don't have a magic wand which could create them by November, which is why I think we need to vote against Bush and *also* keep plugging on the alternative politics project, each in the best way she or he can. Organizing alternative politics locally is one way of continuously probing to see how the objective conditions for building the mass base are coming, as well as gradually forming that base itself. Without that probing and forming, of course, no one knows whether the base exists, so we run the danger of complacency -- ignoring a real potential for the formation of the base. Therefore, 3rd-party activism is very important, even without the mass base, but you can't just wish that base into existence." Question: I sympathise with your comment overall. But - I guess we might mean objective in different ways. What "objective" conditons are you in want of? To my simplistic view, it is the subjective question that is more predominant. Thanks, Hari