[lbo-talk] activism

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Wed Feb 11 18:37:24 PST 2004

Jon wrote:

"Another reason, as I said, was that I'm not really temperamentally fit for organizing small parties -- I did some of that in the 60s/70s, but frankly would rather leave it to folks like you who enjoy it."

I'll be honest with you.

I can't say that I enjoy participating in the form of political engagement I believe to be most effective. On this, I take my cue from Chomsky. I can assure you that he hates it; he likes doing linguistics. He does it because it's what needs to be done- the same reason you clean the toilet. It was the same for me and maybe it should be the same, to a slightly greater degree at least, for others.

Now, before you jump down my throat and accuse me of being a "hair shirt" leftist, I recognize that this is a problem. Political activism should be "joyful" and, fortunately, lot of other Greens find it a lot more fun than I do. See, for example,

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2003/12/12/electionnight.DTL

Furthermore there is a trap which is very easy for us to fall into which I'll get at in this way: I compose music. That's what I like to do and also some of this music, particularly recently, is political. See for example

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2003/08/14/at_harvard_the_finances_are_falling/

or

http://www.sfcv.org/arts_revs/compinc_12_9_03.php

Now, I would very much like to believe that the form of activism which I "enjoy" participating in is the most effective form of activism in which I engage. Unfortunately, it is not true. The fact is activism expressed through my music is probably completely useless from an organizing standpoint, maybe even negatively effective. I have entertained delusions along these lines in the past, unfortunately, but I'm over them now.

This, I think, gets to the nub of our disagreement. In my opinion, its really important that we have a serious discussion as to the effectiveness of different types of organizing and strategies. I simply don't agree with you (or Dellinger) that all are equally effective. And, while I don't agree with their solution, the HFP cadre make very much the same point in their "activistism" piece.

Best,

John Halle