[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 21:21:15 PST 2004

Of course we are entitled -- required! -- to make moral judgments about things we can't affect and aren't directly involved in. Although here we _are_ involved in the resistance to war. And we have to choose our allies. That doesn't minimize the contradictions. We may end up having to -- endorse is too strong -- accepct, acquiesce -- in things that are horrible. I don't say that suicide bombings of civilians in Iraq is such a case. Actually I think it is not. But I recall Doug asking, for example, critics of Castro's repression, What are the alternatives in the real world? And Doug is no apologist for Stalinism. But the idae that we can't have an opinion about Castro or the Iraqi resistance, well, that's just dumb. We can't not have an opinion.

My own opinion is that I am with whatever forces in Iraq promote real democracy -- against the US and its puppets, against the old-style Baathists (whom Christian Pareti says in the current Nation are important in the armed resistance in Iraq) and against the theocrats and fundamentalists and jihadis.

jks