[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Wed Feb 11 22:49:05 PST 2004

There is much a stake here:

"'A patriot is one who supports the Republic as a whole; whoever resists in detail is a traitor.' Either this means nothing at all, or else it means that in a period of revolutionary tension or external threat there is no clear-cut boundary between political divergences and objective treason. Humanism is suspended and government is Terror." --Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Humanism and Terror--

To suggest that it is simply a matter of armchair pontificating is to refuse to be poltical at the precise moment when it matters. But given the choice that you have I can see why it is hard to be a US citizen at this point in time. My parents left when they were faced with this choice.

Travis

> Seth Ackerman wrote:
>
> >From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
> >
> >> In any case, for U.S. citizens to talk of supporting or not supporting
> >> this or that Iraqui faction makes about as much sense as proclaiming
> >> they do or do not support the presidential ambitions of Franklin
Pierce.