[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 12 06:56:16 PST 2004

>Seth Ackerman wrote:
>
>>From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>>
>>>In any case, for U.S. citizens to talk of supporting or not
>>>supporting this or that Iraqui faction makes about as much sense
>>>as proclaiming they do or do not support the presidential
>>>ambitions of Franklin Pierce. This is the absolute height of
>>>armchair pontificating.
>>
>>Well of course I see your point.
>
>What does solidarity or internationalism mean if only those directly
>involved are allowed to have an opinion?
>
>Doug

Everyone can have an opinion, as I do and have offered mine here, but an individual opinion as such will have little to no impact on what other activists and organizers in movements against the US occupation of Iraq say or do. You belong to several organizations, right? For instance, you are a member of the National Writers Union, I believe. So, if you have an opinion that you think should have an influence in movements against the US occupation of Iraq, you can try to have the National Writers Union adopt it; you can go to meetings of New York City Labor Against the War and try to have it adopt it; you can go to the next convention of US Labor Against the War and try to have it adopt it. You can do the same with other organizations of which you are a member, like the Labor Party. That way, your opinion has a chance of influencing various organizations' positions and may have some indirect impacts on what other movement activists in the United States say or do.

As for internationalism, however, positions of organizations in US movements against the US occupation of Iraq won't have a measurable impact on what Iraqi resistance fighters and other Iraqi political players say or do (or don't say or don't do). Even collectively, the influence of organizations in US movements against the US occupation of Iraq won't amount to the sort of decisive influence (sometimes positive, sometimes negative) that USSR had over movements in other nations. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>