[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 09:25:55 PST 2004

Christian Pareti has an interesting piece in the current nation, surveying the resistance, which suggests that there are forming organized democratic forces in what the ex-Bloc people call "civil society"; laos there's a piece about democratic resistance to govt plans made up in Triangle Park, NC. It's not wholly a gloomy picture. Mind, I don't expect much -- an Eastern European-type bourgeois democratic outcome would be a triumph, if the Iraqis could put it together themselves. The result -- if Iraq were as democratic as Poland, say -- would be the most democratic state in the Middle East. that includes "the only democracy in the Middle East," for obvious reasons, again assuming the Sunni, Shia, and Kurds can come to a compromise solution. jks