[lbo-talk] Iraq, the left and the 'resistance' (Geras blog)

Seth Ackerman sethia at speakeasy.net
Thu Feb 12 10:31:55 PST 2004

From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

> "Let them duke it out?" Yes. That is exactly what the First
> International proposed that England should do during the U.S. Civil War,
> one of the bloodiest civil wars in history.

And yet they didn't hesitate to declare which side they "supported":

"From the commencement of the titanic American strife the workingmen of Europe felt instinctively that the star-spangled banner carried the destiny of their class" --Marx to Lincoln, 1865.

I have no reliable information on the workingmen's thoughts regarding the election of Franklin Pierce, however.

Seth