[lbo-talk] will Soros engineer a financial panic?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Feb 13 07:57:53 PST 2004

Doug quoted"
> Is Soros Planning 'October Surprise' for Bush?
> Jon E. Dougherty
> Monday, Feb. 02, 2004
>
> International financier George Soros is worth $7 billion - and he so
> desperately wants to oust George Bush from the White House he says he
> would even give away his whole fortune to do so.

> Here's the real worry: Could the master currency trader manipulate
> the financial markets to create a panic, collapsing the stock market
> or the U.S. dollar on the eve of the November election?

> In his analysis, Timmerman writes that the idea of disrupting
> consumer confidence to the detriment of the Bush White House first
> came from Clinton Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin, who now heads
> Citigroup.

> Overnight, Soros has become the billion-dollar piggybank for the far
left.

On the pain of being paranoid, this looks to me like the old fascist canard of "Jews and bolshevists" secretly manipulating things to control the world.

Having said that, this reminds me of an old anecdote. Two Jews. Mr. Rosenbaum and Mr. Lieberman meet at a café in Vienna, ca 1920. Mr. Rosenbaum picks up a respectable liberal daily from the magazine rack, while Mr. Lieberman picks a rabidly anti-Semitic tabloid. "Why are you reading such trash?" asks Mr. Rosenbaum. "Your paper" answers Mr. Lieberman "writes about pogroms, boycotts of Jewish businesses, and gentile hatred of Jews. My paper writes about Jews secretly controlling the economy and politics all over Europe. Unlike you, Mr. Rosenbaum, I prefer the good news."

Wojtek