[lbo-talk] Occupation & Resistance: Law & Morality (Iraqi communists on "resistance")

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 13 17:59:55 PST 2004

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>The Iraqi Communist Party has no future -- it not only fails to
>>lead street demonstrations to the occupation
>
>What does have a future? I really don't get your position here - do
>you admire the "resistance" because they can blow stuff up?
>
>Doug

Let me ask you a couple of questions:

(1) Do you believe that people who live under foreign occupation have the legal and moral right to resist the occupation, including the right to wage armed struggle against it? Even international law as it exists in this capitalist world, since it has evolved through the history of struggle for decolonization, recognizes "the legitimacy of the peoples' struggle for independence, territorial integrity and liberation from colonial or alien domination or foreign occupation by all available means, including armed struggle" (at <http://domino.un.org/UNISPAL.nsf/0/2752c904a0f4a3e605256817007220dc?OpenDocument>), based upon the "Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples" (General Assembly resolution 1514 [XV] of 14 December 1960, <http://www.un.org/Depts/dpi/decolonization/docs/res1514.htm>, <http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/c_coloni.htm>). You may condemn specific attacks that violate laws of warfare and humanitarian laws such as the Geneva Conventions, but you ought to recognize, at least, that resistance fighters have the legal and moral right to conduct guerrilla warfare within the limits of international law.

(2) Which party is the most legally and morally culpable: (A) a man who, telling boldfaced lies, votes for a war of aggression to invade a foreign country, compelling soldiers to blow up armed combatants, civilians, and properties; (B) soldiers of the invading army who follow the order that violates law and morality, blowing up armed combatants, civilians, and properties; or (C) men of the occupied country who resist the foreign army of occupation and indigenous collaborators, blowing up armed combatants, civilians, and properties?

It seems to me that the order of legal and moral culpability would be (A) > (B) > (C), from the most culpable to the least. You don't seem to be ashamed of voting for and urging others to vote for (A) while sounding shocked, shocked that there are people who support (C). Why? -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>