[lbo-talk] Iraqi communists on "resistance"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 13 19:02:58 PST 2004

Stephen E Philion wrote:

> charles wrote
> CB: What were the main activities of the French resistance ? Wasn't
> their sabotage considered heroic ?
>
> --well, yeah, but they were white.
> steve

Yes, and therefore could be trusted to make their own political decisions. I can't help but feel every so often that the White Man's Burden is figuring heavily in this debate.

"We" just can't leave those poor Iraqis to fight out their own destiny. They aren't civilized. They aren't "ready." (Western interference has of course been the main reason for that "unreadiness.")

Carrol